Monday, September 22, 2008

School's back ...



It is hard to believe another year has gone by and that Brendan is entering middle school and Clare is the king of her class in 5th grade at the Elementary school.

I remember the 5th and 6th grades like they were yesterday - the good and the bad. Making up dances on the playground to Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUSDS9pkA2Y) and Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY1RNuzT4XU. Friday night video's, pre MTV and VH1, the Pet Shoppe Boys ... Prince, Whitney Houston and the Bangles!
Sleep over's at my friends when we would try to say bloody mary in the mirror three times, played with a weegie board and put shaving cream in someone's hand and then tickled their face. The confusing part of this stage in life was that I still liked Barbies and took my Cabbage Patch babies everywhere, but I also got my period? What's up with that?

Fashion took on a whole new meaning. Going from the simple days of 3rd and 4th grade where Kangaroo tennis shoes and flannel lined pants were the best things ever invented to wearing my most favorite Swatch skirt, tied in a knot at the corner with sunglasses that had slit's in them -- ahh, the 80's!

Side pony tails, ratted bangs, torn up jeans and Coca-Cola shirts! This was the point in time when all things that I knew to be true started to change, boys were more interesting, I had to wear a bra, the computer game Oklahoma and the space shuttle Challenger blew up. 1987. Lastly, the prank call entered the picture as did impressions of any kind. My friends and I would tape record ourselves making commercials, made up commercials about Ole and Lena.

Today, for the first time, Clare and her friends Andrea and Maddie 'pranked' me ... it starts so innocent. The phone rings and I hear a strange voice, "Is Morgan there?" No- pardon me, who is this?" I say back ... then, some giggles and "Is your refridgerator running?" um, Clare? who is this? "well, you better go catch it!" -- Mom, it's me, we're calling from Andrea's cell phone in my room. Click. Trouble.


No comments: